This weekend I made my second batch of sausages. They turned out better than the first batch did. Very tasty. However, the texture is still not quite right. I have concluded that breadcrumbs are not the best ingredient, no matter what the Internet says. I must look into the alternatives. They definitely needed more fat too. I shall make another effort some time. Meanwhile I have a goodly supply to freeze, even after giving some to Andrew. I shall age these for a day or two first, to let the flavour develop.
It was very interesting trying to manage the manufacturing process with only one fully functional arm. It took a while to master the process of manipulating the filler and releasing the casing at just the right rate. I had to use the limited arm for this, and the good arm for feeding the mince into the machine. The first meter of sausage was full of air bubbles, but once I sorted things out and got control, I managed to fill the casing smoothly and consistently. The next difficult thing was figuring out the triple twist and making links as the butcher does. I got the hang of that eventually.