Yesterday was the longest day ever.  It seemed to last longer than the previous twelve together.  I had been up at 0400 Eastern time packing up and making sure nothing got left behind.  We set off for Coolangatta at 0630, arriving at 0800 for the girls to check in for their international flight.  I hate hanging around at airports and saying prolonged goodbyes. Fortunately they know this and made it easy for me.  When they went through to the departure lounge I had a coffee with dad before he too slipped away, leaving me to wait for my plane to Sydney.  I then had to wait four hours in Sydney airport until 1700 Eastern time, at which time I boarded my flight to Perth.

We took off on time at 1730 and I immediately set my watch back two hours to 1530 Western time.  We flew for five hours, that seemed forever, me trying to find a comfortable position for my arm, which was in a sling.  It seems to take five hours to fly east to west, and only four in the other direction.  The wind I guess.  We landed at 2035 Perth Time.   Sue and Steve were waiting to meet me.  They took me home and after a couple of cups of tea it was time for bed. I was exhausted.  At 0430 I was awakened by a very heavy thunderstorm and the sound of a major downpour. At 0730 I set off for home.

I arrived before eleven after driving through thunder, lightning and heavy rain.  I called in to Woolworth’s first, to stock up on bread, milk, eggs and fresh vegetables.  Then at last I was back.  It felt good to be here.  Something strange happened to my flat while I was away. It became “home”. How about that?

I was sad to be parted so soon again from my girls, but seeing them for the last two weeks cheered me up  a great deal and let me see that they are now grown, independent young women who are quite capable of surviving without me.  That is as it should be.  Now I have to get on with surviving without them… 

The arm is still part paralysed. Either the rotator cuff or a pinched nerve. I am thinking the former. The first week it did not hurt. Now it does. I still can’t raise it above my waist without supporting it with the other hand but I can drive a manual or automatic car, and I have just found I can now reach the handlebars on the bike.  So I can ride. all is therefore well with the world.

I have not yet seen a doctor, but will arrange to do so on Monday.


About Uisce úr

Though I am old with wandering Through hollow lands and hilly lands, I will find out where she has gone, And kiss her lips and take her hands; And walk among long dappled grass, And pluck till time and times are done, The silver apples of the moon, The golden apples of the sun.
This entry was posted in Autobiography, Depression, Family, Food and drink, Health and wellness, Lifestyle, Motorbikes, News and politics, Relationships, Weather and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Home

  1. Dev Dinsdale says:

    Best of luck etc with the doctor Alan


  2. Welcome home! Glad you got away and had a chance to see your girls. So nice to catch up with family, especially when they are so far away. Hope your arm gets sorted out quickly. Catch you around town!


Please comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s