Following a rescue operation down where works staff were digging out the creek this morning, I now have 13 more frogs in the pond at home. 15 turtles were relocated to a safer location downstream, along with several gilgies. The yard boys have been digging out the stream while it is dry, and pulling down the rock-wall banks ready to put in new batters. The intention is to create a long pond that will be an extension of the Piesse dam pond further upstream. The Shire got some money for environmental improvements.
It was really encouraging to see how the boys were so very caring about the beasties they are displacing. They have been gently rescuing and relocating turtles, frogs and gilgies as they go, taking them downstream to where there is still some water. Yesterday they encountered a snake. They are not so keen on handling them. As there was one crumbling section of stone wall along the bank which they were pretty convinced would yield a veritable nest of vipers, so to speak, they called me in as snake whisperer, to attend while they pulled it down this morning.
Despite fearful expectations, on their part, and hopeful on mine, not one emerged. No snakes. But I collected 15 more frogs and froglets and a couple of skinks, which I relocated to the pond at home. Using old pipes and rocky bits and pieces, I have made little froggy houses in, under and around the pond and pot plants, so they all have somewhere to hide.
Most of the frogs are motorbikes. One I am not sure of. And I still have the little golden yellow froglet of as yet still indeterminate species. Today she was sitting on a leaf way up high in the Bay tree. Just at my eye level.