Singing in the Rain VI

Saturday I wasted on mucking around with laundry and rearranging the furniture in my bedroom, mainly to get the bed out from under the window for the winter.

I did take the silver lady for a quick jaunt in the morning.  On Friday, when on the way back from a building inspection on Schultz road I spotted a flock of galahs  and I hoped to find them again for some photos.  I did not spot them.  They have not been around the homestead since I bought the Nikon and telephoto.  Typical.    I was then going to take the white lady out in the afternoon to see if I could find the black cockatoos I saw a couple of weeks back, and get some closer shots, but I dithered around with the housework and bedroom, then took a wee nap.  The afternoon was gone and the overcast and rainy weather caused darkness to fall early.  Ah well tomorrow is another day I thought, and had an early night.

Up very early this morning, went for a walk, skyped the girls and had a cereal breakfast by 0830.  Aquarium filters cleaned and floors washed and polished by 0930.  Caught up at last with all housework. Free to go!

Just as the rain returned.

But I had promised the white lady (and myself) we would ride, so I donned my wet gear and headed out.  The 650 is so much lighter than the 1300, and I do believe she handles just a little better.  Certainly does on gravel anyway.

Because it was pouring, I did not take the Nikon and the tele.  Just the  waterproof Olympus – µ TOUGH-8010 so even before I set out I knew I would not be getting any good close ups of cockies.  As it turned out I never even took the µ out of my pocket, but at least it was there should I have encountered something worthwhile to snap.

It was a good ride.  I felt like a solo wander, so I did not check if Brenton wanted to come, and I headed out on the gravel roads between Broomehill and Kojonup where we saw the cockatoos.

The rain became very heavy, and the gravel roads turned to slush.  It was not cold, and I was dry and snug  except around the neck,  where a little trickle ran down my chest, and my hands.  Summer gloves are no use for the wet.  I must get a new waterproof pair.

The White Lady was a red muddy mess by the time I returned home.  She was easily hosed off though.  Just as I put her into the garage the wind began to rise and in no time at all was a howling gale.  A major storm blew in.  Time to batten down.  I was glad I was not out riding in this, because it as quite strong enough to blow me off the road.  Wheelie bins and garden furniture flew past my gate as if to prove the point.  I gathered in my own director’s chairs before they blew away.

I put a half a leg of lamb and some vegetables on, and in a couple of hours had my first Sunday roast for some time.   I also put on a slow-cooker full of pumpkin soup to have for the next few days with the leftovers.

I then spent a couple of hours watching the fish and the Kray brothers fight over tiny tidbits of rare lamb,  and the wind in the trees across the road.

Now I think I shall put on a movie and retire to bed.




About Uisce úr

Though I am old with wandering Through hollow lands and hilly lands, I will find out where she has gone, And kiss her lips and take her hands; And walk among long dappled grass, And pluck till time and times are done, The silver apples of the moon, The golden apples of the sun.
This entry was posted in Life, don't talk to me about life!. Bookmark the permalink.

Please comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s