The thought slipped away, and was forgotten as I set to work.
That evening I peeled a couple of potatoes with my favourite peeler, a mighty device I have had for a long time, that can peel anything from spuds to pumpkin and taro.
And it broke. The blade spronged away from the potato, and each time I replaced it, it spronged away again as soon as I tried to peel. It should be repairable, I thought. It is merely a double serrated blade in an elongated D shaped stainless handle, the blade being the vertical of the D. It is all held together by an aluminium rod in the middle. Ever the miser, I tried to fix it, bending the handle in a little to make sure it held the blade tight, then trying to force the blade back into its pivots in the end of the stainless steel strip that forms the handle. Of course it slipped and I did a great job of peeling the ball of my thumb.
After tending to the first aid nececessities, and pondering the inordinate amount of blood that comes out of a thumb, I then realised the peeler was not so easily repaired, because what I had not noticed before was that the aluminium rod was no longer holding tight the arms of the blade holder. I had just worked out how to mend that too when it dawned on me that I was holding in my hand what, with a little hammering out of kinks, was in fact a 20cm length of 15mm wide nonmagnetic marine stainless steel. Just what, that morning, I was thinking I needed … And it is predrilled with holes, so now I merely need to go out and find some stainless PK screws, for a sturdy glue and screw on skid.